Legal consultation and legal advice are two identical twins only and are used interchangeably. The word “consultation’ connotes a meeting or a discussion with a professional expert for the purposes of gaining some information over a matter or a formal discussion on such matter or collaboration for that matter. “Legal consultation” is the discussion of a client with an attorney/lawyer where the latter apprises the former of his legal rights in a particular factual case.
Evolution of Legal Consultation over online platform
The first generation of lawyers could be attributed to ancient Greece where one had to plead his own case. During 200-210 B.C., Rome developed a class of specialists in law, i.e., “Jurisconsults”. Roman judges, Governors and ordinary people would consult with the Jurisconsults for legal opinion. From 13th century onwards, legal profession bloomed in England where various statutes were passed to regularize the code of conduct for the lawyers such as loyalty and confidentiality of the client’s case. The whole consultation was to be kept confidential and private.
Various laws were enacted throughout time and in 1961, Advocates Act came into place which regulates the legal profession in India. Any person who wishes to have a legal opinion on a particular set of facts or case or require a legal representation can have a legal consultation with an advocate. The common practise was that the client used his personal contacts and phonebooks to search his desired lawyer. But as we are entering into a digital world, everything is available on our tips meaning thereby we can get our desired legal advice in a few minutes sitting at our nice and cosy homes.
Gone are those days when people used to search for a good lawyer for months. An alarming rate of people is turning towards online legal advice and are relying less upon phonebooks, visiting cards and personal contacts. Various online platforms like Chaostruct, etc. are providing lawyer-client matching services by applying the best possible permutation and combination in accordance to the client’s requirements. Online legal consultation or contacting a legal advisor online is a great way for a client to save time and money.
• Attorney-client privilege is present including confidentiality of information furnished;
• Online platforms offer discounts on legal fees;
• If the client does not likes the legal advice, he/she can search for another lawyer on the website;
• Accessible from anywhere;
• No appointment required;
• The client gets the best opinion from various lawyers at a time;
• Due to the genuineness and credibility of the online platform, the lawyer associated with it would provide continual support to the client;
• Productivity of attorneys increase and so the competition;
• Efficient communication channels;
• Free legal advice is also available;
• A huge time-saver.